Sunday, March 29, 2009

Swing Away

Published March 20, 2009

A batter’s box appeared on the driveway as the last of winter’s grasp gave way towards hopes of spring. Daniel is five and he wants to swing away. He wields his bat with the confidence of a boy who has yet to feel failure’s cold hand.

In my youth, I shared his confidence. Mine started the first time I cradled a pool cue. At first I beat my parents friends who thought it was cute, but that was just the beginning. My skills grew and by the time I got to college, I hustled every dimwit who wanted to take a chance. Card games naturally. Long before neighborhood men put tables in their basements and had Texas Hold ‘Em nights, I was making my way through gambling dens and less reputable spots on Manhattan’s lower east side. My fortune grew exponentially along with my reputation. It was a thrill, but that’s how it is when you bet with your own money.

My Wall Street friends were gamblers too, but they played with other people’s money. The gig isn’t hard when you make bets with someone else’s dough. But we all know what happened to them, don’t we?

Which brings me to President Obama.

The President’s political rise has been stratospheric. Rising from the Illinois state house to the Oval Office in just 16 short years. He took on the vaunted Clinton political machine and beat them like red headed stepchildren. He stands astride history, and he knows it.

Spring comes early to Washington, DC. President Obama is in the batter’s box and he’s ready to swing away. Unfortunately for Mr. Obama it’s late in the game, we’re losing, there’s no one on base and he’s got a full count.

Remember then, that The President is a gambler. He’s used to winning and he really doesn’t know failure. He’s ready to swing away, to gamble that he can knock that next pitch out of the park.

Problem is, he’s gambling with your money.

No comments:

Post a Comment