Saturday, September 25, 2010

On Marriage....

It's not yet 5am, but I have been up for hours. This is my time for reflection, reading and spending time with Ting (our beloved Golden Retriever). Kathy and the boys are sleeping soundly, providing the type of quiet that I appreciate above all else as it brings a sense of satisfaction I had never known.
There is no question that every joy, every accomplishment and every moment of true love I have ever known can be traced back to the woman who chose to partner with me all those years ago.
I am indeed a most fortunate man.

There is no need, at this point, to dwell on my past. That is the job of tabloid reporters and would-be biographers. I turn down more interview requests than I care to think about. People want, and in many cases need, to know my story. Yet, my story really only started when I met Kathy.
Kathy, you see, is the one who showed me how to be more than I thought I could be. She is the one who helped me see beyond the shades of black and white, to see the colors that make up the world we live in. She is the one who gave me the most precious gifts a man can know.
How then, did this come about? Does it matter? Of course our courtship was filled with incidents involving hand guns, strippers and the occasional bar fight. Who doesn't have moments of excitement when a relationship is young, yet our relationship improves with each passing day. How is this possible?
Our relationship is built upon a foundation of trust, honesty and respect. Without those fundamental building blocks, no man (or woman) should enter into marriage.
Please do not take this missive to think that we are immune from the issues which can plague, or kill, a marriage. Hardly! From the boys driving us nuts, to the aging of our parents, to heated discussions on the merits of putting away laundry, Kathy and I (like you) have them all. What makes us different is how we manage ourselves and each other.
To start with, no decision can be made without considering the greater good. Yes, David and Daniel are in private schools and Kathy and I may spend our golden years under a highway overpass eating cat food to survive. Yet, we know that our primary job is to see our chuckleheads grow up to be gentlemen and productive members of society. The greater good.
We've also long ago checked our egos. They are a burden, not worth the effort of maintaining. Through our marriage, we've come to know that we are not measured by money in the bank, by corporate our community achievement. No, we are measured by the swift passage of time in each other's company or in those brief moments of familial tranquility.
Lastly, I could never emphasize the importance of patience. Kathy is long suffering, yet gracious. I can only compliment her in this respect. And so, perhaps, this may be the most important facet of this gem we call marriage. You must compliment your spouse. Now, some of my former producers may get hung up here. I can only encourage you to utilize a dictionary.
We have made it through the first ten years and we look forward to all the great times and challenges ahead. We dream of sleep away camp, prep school, college and then (hopefully) our growing old together. Until then, Quo fata ferunt!

No comments:

Post a Comment